Friday, April 3, 2009

It’s been about a month since the album came out, I have written about a billion ideas on it, but I have not been able to make anything coherent, but that seems to be the story of my life right now. I figured the easiest way to do this would be to go song by song. So periodically over the next week or so I will be posting my thoughts on a song or two a day.

No Line on the Horizon
I figure I might as well do this in order. This song is by far one of my favorites on the album, so far. It is a bit of a different sound, I cannot pin my finger on it. There is a grittiness to it, and a sort of desperation. One of the things that has always drawn me to U2 is the fact that sometimes Bono’s lyrics hit such a personal spot with me, sometimes to a point that I could not begin to explain. Whenever I listen to this song I get a certain feeling that I also find hard to explain. It reminds me of a time when I was listening to “Rattle and Hum” over and over again one very hot summer day about 10 years ago. Something about it just grabbed me, and the same goes with this song, just seems to fit in better on a cold day. It reminds me of songs like “Desire” “Hawkmoon 269” and “Heartland.” They are songs I never quite grabbed onto what they were really about just loved, just as I cannot quite put my finger on the meaning of this one. One thing I have learned for sure is when I go back and listen to the above mentioned “Rattle and Hum” songs they make a lot more sense to me with ten years of life behind me than they did when I first heard them. Right now I am kind of wishing I could go back to my 16 year old confused and lonely self and see how I would have reacted to this song.

Lyric that stands out the most to me: “The songs in your head are now on my mind. You put me on pause, I’m Trying to rewind and replay”
Song it reminds me the most of: Hawkmoon 269, Rattle and Hum (1989)

Magnificent
The first time I listened to this song for some reason I instantly thought of the Pop album. Now looking back I am not sure why I heard that, but still think it is there. Now with about 500 more listens it seems straight out of some of the b-sides to “All that you can’t Leave Behind” like “Summer Rain” and “Electrical Storm” and the intro really reminds me of the guitar work on “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.” I love this song, another favorite from the album, and probably my favorite vocals on the album. There is an airy, ethereal quality to it, almost like it is being sung from the bottom of a hole. I think maybe that is the quality I was picking up that reminded me of the “Pop” album. Lyrics wise it is classic U2, a song that can be used to inspire grandeur or remind you of the simplest joys in life. It is one of those songs that is lyrically transcendent and at a moments turning in life can go from just a fun song you like to sing along with to one that will carry you a life shaking moment.

Lyric that stands out the most to me: “My first cry, it was a joyful noise”
Song it reminds me most of: Musically—Summer Rain, b-side to Beautiful Day (2001) . Lyrically—Wire, Unforgettable Fire (1985)

I should have the next couple songs up in a day or two.

0 comments:

Template by:
Free Blog Templates