Thursday, July 30, 2009

I’m sure I will forget one or two, but here it goes my thoughts on each of the transfers and how they will fit into the team.

Kaka


Photobucket

What can’t I say about Kaka, by far the signing I am most excited about. He is the definition of class, a great footballer, everything. It would be pointless to go on about how great he is and how great he will be with us. Can you really go wrong with a player like him? He is a class player and a team player he will fit in fine and dandy, kind of one of those players there is always room for, especially when we lack an attacking midfielder who is not injured by the blowing of a stiff breeze.

Like many I did not like the circumstances of how he came to the club because everyone knew his heart was in Milan and he only came for financial reasons (Milan’s not his own). But here is my take on it, Real Madrid has money to spend, they make a bid for one of the best in the world. Player says thanks, but I love my club don’t want to go. Should be end of story right? Club could just say no, but they want the money so they say bye-bye Kaka. Not an ideal situation, but the blame should not be entirely on Madrid.

Now that was a big signing, I think Yay there no way they are going to sign that thing Cron now….dun dun dun

Cristiano Ronaldo

Photobucket

What was it a week later? Yup we signed Ronaldo. That greasy, prostitute banging, overly tanned, tantrum throwing, toolbag was now going to fulfill his dream of becoming a Real Madrid player. Will he fit into the team? Well he is also one of the best in the world, and if he comes to play for the club and not himself also a player there is always plenty of room for. Basically same sentiments as Kaka, just take out the parts about being a class person, and only if he really plays for the club.

I had my doubts and figured I would hate him no matter what. Then at his presentation he was almost giddy to be in our kit, and it looked like it belonged on him. Since it really was his dream to play for RM maybe some of his cry-baby arrogant ways will be quelled and he will be an okay guy. I am still holding out final verdict, but so far gosh darnit I am liking the kid (and hating myself for it) more to come on my thoughts on Cris in next post :-P

Those two were easy, now I get a little more analytical.

Albiol

Photobucket

Young player, tons of potential, just what we need. We need defenders, and I think it is better to go young and promising rather than someone already too established. This is one of those signings showing RM is really looking to the future, he may need time to settle in but I honestly think they will give it to him (this will make more sense as I discuss Benzema and Arbeloa). It seems like with the defense they are building they are building it with plans for the future and will take a few potential missteps initially.

Last time around we got Canna and Heinze both were good, but their age started to show and our defense has been pretty craptastic, not to blame those two by any means but it is time for a transition that will give us a team that can win championships with more than a 2 season shelf life. As you know Canna returned to Juve and it sounds like a deal is all but done for Heinze to go as well.


Benzema


Photobucket

I admit this freaked me out at first. Early in the summer I was terrified that Higuain would be sold or benched (mostly from the Villa rumors), so naturally signing another striker freaked me out. Then it hit me, the plan is likely for the future front two to be Higuain and Benzema. He is one of the most promising strikers out there and also very young.

Since both Benzema and Higuain are so young and Raul is getting up there in years it will not be a problem to rotate the three. With two strikers up front they can kind of rotate starters. I would lean more towards starting the two youngins and sub in Raul or maybe the other way around. Raul brings experience so we need him in the games against teams like Barca but smaller clubs you can give the young guns the responsibility. It seems like they are planning to train them up to be Raul’s successor in a few seasons.

As for Ruud and Huntelaar. Well I think its time for Ruud to move on or be happy being a sub, we can get a decent fee for him, but he is getting up there in years. As for Hunty, he was destine to be gone at the end of the season or be on the bench either way only really brought half way though the season to fill an injury gap and then sell imo. So basically keep one of the dutchies and the sell the other pros and cons to both, but the future and a bright one indeed is in Higuain and Benzema. This is why Villa made no sense to me, a player as big and as experienced as him should be started every game and that would not be possible without benching a player that definitely should not be benched.

Arbeloa

Photobucket

Yay an academy babe coming home! I kept saying, if we sign a good right/left back this whole experiment just might work, and my God Perez did something right. It is a little tricky because both Arby and the Ramos play right back usually, but both are very versatile and can play both as well as a potential center back. Their versatility and Pellegrini’s skills as a tactician that conflict should sort itself out. If not there is always jello wrestling while wearing Spanish flag speedos, that also solves problems nicely.

This is another signing showing a commitment to the future of Real Madrid’s defense and team as a whole and not just an off the cuff signing of a big name. Arbeloa brings in experience at top flight football mixed with a RM background and good skill, kind of the last piece we needed.

All in all we may need some time to gel, but it looks like this time around Perez was a bit smarter with his decisions, still quite extravagant and annoying, but not a complete idiot. This could all be wishful thinking, but I think this may work, it may take a season to really gel and I hope the club gives them the time. There will be a great mix of youth and experience and the fight the Los Blancos always seem to have.

As far as other players, I think the Dutch midfielders are gone this summer, and kind of happy about it. I loved some (Robben) but they never quite meshed in the team right. Some did not get many chances (VDV), but they also never took advantage of the chances they got to prove themselves like some players did (Higuain), and some you never even noticed when they were playing (Sneijder).

And I refuse to comment on the potential of Xabi until I have to accept it.

1 comments:

Misty Stiletto said...

Ooh, such a cute pic of CRon :)

I'm gutted Arby has left us, but glad it's for his childhood team. Also a team that keeps the man piling alive like Liverpool never fully could.

Raul is getting old? Never. I won't believe it, he will play for ever. He has to.

The Xabi situ is actually killing me.

Template by:
Free Blog Templates